Saturday, April 21, 2012

Using a keyboard instead of Mouse (not a 'which is better' thread)

Hi guys

This is not a thread about asking which is better, using a mouse or keyboard. I know that using a mouse is more precise, but... I bought a really good gaming mouse, tried to use it more than several times, and it's just not for me.

For one, I play on a laptop, so usually I'm on a sofa with my laptop on my lap. No room for an external mouse next to me. I've tried putting a book next to me and put a mouse pad on top of it...

But I just suck with the mouse, yes turning is very quick I love that, but I'm all over the place in a close fight, and not being able to back up is an issue (my other hand is busy on my action and macro keys, and with my other hand on the mouse... ) I suppose I could program one of my mouse keys as the backup key, but still... I'm very unprecise in my movements and positioning when using a mouse, and again, with a laptop on a coach, it just doesn't work out to well.



So.. my question is for people WHO USE A KEYBOARD and to try to get some advice on making that more precise.

I don't mean about which key you bind to what... I'm a lefty so it's different for me anyway. I use the arrow keys to move, and my left hand is the one that presses all the buttons.



My question pertains to trying to do something similar that you can do with a mouse, which is be able to 'view' for example 180 degrees and then turn that way.

I know with the arrow keys it takes longer to turn than with a mouse as it's not instant, but has anyone figured out a way (or is there some kind of addon) that perhaps helps with this?

Such as a keybinding that would maybe view left 90 degrees each time you press it (and another key that would view right 90 degrees on each press), and then moving forward would instantly make you go in that direction (assuming you were still holding that 'view' key)

I think that would be very useful if such an addon existed, or if there was a way to set that up some how.



Nidanone|||oh , another "leftie"

I dont use my mouse to move (though i tend to "doublepress" and quick turn sometimes)..... one big tip i can hand to you is to use the keypad for moving (5,8,4,6) and use the arrows for macros/targeting/triknets/whatever , easy reached by the thumb.That way i can be a "semi mouser" with my most used spells/abilitys/macros tied to arrow keys.

You can bind the other keypad keys to different uses too...like i got 7 for jump , 0 for autorun etc,etc,etc

A classic move i use withtthe rogue is "jumpturn" , i slap my 7 key and doublepress the mouse and twitch around , its so in my fingers i almoast cant jump anymore without turning|||Why is this in the PvP thread? Not a big deal but it is ironic because not using a mouse is not a huge deal in PvE but a death sentence in PvP. I sometimes use just the keyboard while I am eating or something but if I encounter an enemy toon than the food gets dropped and my hand reaches for the mouse. Which is usually too late...|||That's why it's in the PVP thread... I like PVP, but I haven't been able to get used to using a mouse to play.

So I'm trying to get advice from others who may be using the keyboard to PVP and see how they manage.

Again, I know that using a mouse is way better, but maybe with some tricks the keyboard can come close, I don't know.|||well , i played wow since beta , and did MUCH pvp with different characters....tryed to be a "mouser" several times but never got a hang of it (much because im a lefthander and keyboard isnt really designed for my playstyle, no matter where i put my right hand i seem to doublepress witht humb etc...etc)

I cant really say im "bad" at pvp (and with the rogue is much of controlling to be sucessfull) ..... moving with keys works , and can work good too despite of what all other "pros" say.

Just adept to it with the right skills/macros in reach of your thumb , and use a target key (very important) never ever click to target anything since you have to move your mouse from your "click area" , get a good setup on screen for the buttons (well , i use standard now but thats just from lazyness ) .... and i guess a good mouse is important too (Logi G3 is suiatable for us lefties with buttons we can reach)|||The problem is you're playing a rogue - one of the classes where fine tuning of movement actually is of the utmost importance.

For a mage, it doesn't make a huge difference whether you blast a fireball from 22 yards or 28 yards. The end result is the same.

To a rogue, being on 5 yards or on 11 yards makes the difference between not doing any damage at all and murderising someone.|||Quote:




I cant really say im "bad" at pvp




Thats a poor measurement. Maybe you are good at PvP, but just think how great you could be if you used a mouse as well! I am a lefthander and use my left hand for the keyboard and my right for the mouse...|||Quote:








Thats a poor measurement. Maybe you are good at PvP, but just think how great you could be if you used a mouse as well! I am a lefthander and use my left hand for the keyboard and my right for the mouse...




Oh hell , that is impossible for me i guess , i cant even pick my nose with right hand

And trust me i tryed to become a mouser , but my system works very well for me i guess and i thought i could share it.

And about my own measurment of pvp godness is that ive done it for 2.5 years or longer , rarley loose (xept if i get jumped by a better(counterclass) player that is ) , that goes for most of my characters ... but its witht the rogue i feel somehow handicaped by not mousemoving .... but usually i beat the "frantic running/strafing/jumping(stress) rogues" , just keep a cool head and you usually win anyways.|||Use this on the couch - no need for a book next to you or whatever, get into what ever slouched postion you want :)



Or one of these :)
|||wow those look cool. And I can imagine having better precision with a rolling ball than a mouse I move around.

Do you know what model/product #'s the above are so I can google them?

I have the Logitech MX Revolution now which is still like brand new, I may just sell that and try one of the above.



Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment