Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rogue vs. mage in the BG-s

Beginner pvp-er here, level 60 UD Rogue, I figured out a general strategy for most classes in the BG-s, but mages give me a headacke when they blink.

If i cheap shot them, they blink out of stun and they use their magic tricks to keep me at range. Sometimes I can get to them and they are dead. Most of the time I can't get to them though: frostbolt, frost nova, whatever, after I blow my trinkets I am a sitting duck.

I tried other openers, garotte for example, or simply charging up out of stealth, but they blink, and then its over. One time i got frozen several times, and I actually ended up killing the mage with my crossbow haha. It was funny as hell.

So, what do I do with mages? Even hunters are easier.... Any advice appreciated|||You are limited at 60 by a lack of specials but at 70 it is very easy to deal with the blinking mage. Make sure to turn on the option to show the target's cast bar to best time vanish etc. The best way I found was to open with garrote and enjoy your three seconds of silence. When the mage blinks, shadow step, hemo, hemo, KS and then just stun lock him as best as possible. If you want, vanish and cheap shot before the 20 second cooldown of the blink.

At 70, you have many more tools to use that are not build dependant. Cloak of Shadows is great against a frost mage. Deadly Throw has won me many fights versus a mage that thought he was safe outside my melee range and the pvp gloves have a 3 second spell interupt to boot. A 5pt DT crits for about 1500 damage and I have a crappy thrown weapon. Even if it doesn't kill them, it slows them so they can't kite you so easily.

Edit: Don't forget shiv (available at 68), which will instantly apply your off-hand poison which should always be crippling.|||Ice Mages will always be a hard fight even at 70. Your going to have to practice and figure out what works for you to beat them.

CloS is going to help a lot, but mages are going to have at least 1 if not 2x Ice Blocks, Ice Barriers, Pets, frost novas, blinks, ect..

Against a good mage you'll only have 1 opener on him, vanish/coem back is not going to work on most good mages as they can easily aoe you out.

Im not 70 yet, but vs rogues in the 50-60 range Fights of course are all different as some thigns get resisted like frost nova, and sometimes the rogue sprints at different points in the fight ect...

But for the most part if they us cs to open they lose, if they garrote or ambush or anything else it depends how quickly I react. I will generally frost trap blink, instantly turn around and blizz them (slowing them down extremely slow and giving my cds time to come back plus also keeping them from vanishing if they somehow vanish and get back to me before I have blink or frost nova I will summon my pet and Ice Block, if they run out of range i'll come out and fire blast them (depending on my pet ofc) (if I didnt do that before ice block, or if its ready to use) if they stealth again (which normally wont happen with pet out) then I will either arcane explosion if I am close enough, or blizz them depending on where they are and what direction I am facing, or if they somehow manage to get away then I will spam arcane explosion rank 1 until I find them, they Rarely get me before I get them.

By this time if they are still alive and some how get to me again the nice thing about ice block is that I almst always have my cds for frostnova / blink back after I come out... trinket if they blind me, and not only do I have frostnova blink again I can also cold snap to get it all over again..

Its not easy to beat an ice mage even with CloS.

CloS = Ice Block.

And First Aid to cleanse your poisons ;)|||Hmm, doesn't sound too promising for rogues. I still like to cheap shot mages and then sprint to their blink location and finish them off. It doesn't work all the time, but when it does it's a blast.

I might try to get a good range weapon and just shoot them from range after i garotte them. haha|||(wrong reply to the wrong thread. Is there no delete post option in here?)|||ice mage is a tough matchup, helps to be a gnome and have imp sprint|||Once you lvl to 66, mages and warlocks will be easy to beat,

if i can get the jump on them ill Cheap shot them, hit them with a Hemo then a Ghost strike, before my Cheap shot is over ill hit them with a Kidney shot, by then they have like 3/4 of there life left, most will blink to avoid you, if they blink ill just blind them after they blink, then kick them, by then the mage is dead, mostly the same for a warlock just ill pop my CoS then Prep then another Cos if i need it.|||Quote:








Once you lvl to 66, mages and warlocks will be easy to beat,

if i can get the jump on them ill Cheap shot them, hit them with a Hemo then a Ghost strike, before my Cheap shot is over ill hit them with a Kidney shot, by then they have like 3/4 of there life left, most will blink to avoid you, if they blink ill just blind them after they blink, then kick them, by then the mage is dead, mostly the same for a warlock just ill pop my CoS then Prep then another Cos if i need it.




Any mage that let's you get off more than 1 auto attack on them after you cheap shot is either incredibly awful or has blink, iceblock, AND his insignia on cool down.

I think a rogue can beat a mage at level 70. If he's spec'ed into preparation, he can definitely kill a mage. But, as one poster said before this, without cloak of shadows or deadly throw, it's very difficult. Secondly, if you don't have crippling poison on both weapons, it's impossible.

After the blink, you HAVE to make up ground. You have 4 choices. The first, and most convenient is to simply sprint. You'll be slowed by 30% from frost armor (possibly more, if they're frost spec'ed), but you should still be able to make up ground on them...slowly. The thing is, once a mage has blown her cooldowns, she's dead if you're in range. So, even if you're at 30% life, and she's at 100%, you might still be able to pull out a victory once you're close and she's out of defenses. Your other choices are to blind her, if you can get in range (although, I would recommend saving this--as she might waste her insignia on a crippling poison, if she has it equipped), you can vanish AND sprint to maximize the time you're in range to hit her (however, this can be countered by a good mage with a fast AoE...AND it disables a vanish later on), or if you were lucky enough to land a crippling poison before she blinked, you can simply insignia out of chill, and chase her.

She'll frost nova you once you're in range...you immediately want to insignia if you have it...or vanish. You'll still be in a position where you're making up ground. Even improved Cone of Cold won't allow her to kite you as long as you ahve sprint up. Remember, her blink is going to cooldown RIGHT before your sprint finishes. Here is the most important part. As soon as she blink and blind her. This will allow you to get back in range, cheap shot her (when blink is on CD), and hopefully apply some crippling poisons, if you ahven't already. Once you get there, her frost nova will cool down in about 6 seconds. If you can't kill her in those few seconds, you'll have to have a vanish/insignia/preparation up to take her down once she novas again--assuming of course she's not ice spec'ed, and froze you with a chill effect, that she didn't poly you once you busted sprint, that her ice block was up, etc.

As you can see, it's a bad situation. But, if things go your way...OR she makes a mistake, you can capitalize.|||Thank you for the replies. I will see at 70 how things go with mages.

I have a very funny story though - in AV, I stalked a frost mage and actually killed him with my crossbow !! He blinked out of Cheap Shot (I had time to hit him down to about half health) and froze me after I sprinted to him and hit him a couple of times more. He has now about 200-300 health left. Then he got to range and started his fireball. I took out my crossbow and one shot him. It was the funniest moment in all my BG days (which are not many :-)).

So rogues out there, get a good ranged weapon for mages !|||I always run around with thrown weapons. Every time a frost mage tries to blink from me, I wait for a timer of his frostbolt and then deadly throw, then I close in for the kill. If he is almost dead, I just deadly throw anyway.

There's countless times I killed mages using Deadly Throw. In fact, I killed more mages with deadly throw than with any other finisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment